среда, 20 июня 2012 г.

Some cultural aspects


“Books are bound people.”
   Books will tell you a lot of things if you want know them. Many aspects can be seen in the story. But I am interested in cultural aspects.
1)      “The same damn black BMW 330 Cabriolet.” This was Elizabeth’s car. So I can guess that this woman had a lot of money, because it is a very expensive and prestigious vehicle.

2)      “Her heels against the marble floor echoed loudly in the empty high-ceiling room. The room was hot from the sun’s glare through the glass of the conservatory. The spotless kitchen gleamed, the black granite counter tops sparkled, the chrome fittings mirrored the bright day. A stainless steel and walnut heaven. She headed straight to the espresso machine. Her saviour… She placed the steaming espresso cup on a marble coaster to protect the glass kitchen table.” This passage can tell us about the many details: a) American designers have a good salary; b) This is a description of the designer’s kitchen. So I suppose that this room was very fashionable and modern; c) Elizabeth’s life was very stressful, so she used to drink coffee.
3)      “It’s Jinny Joes Day!” For the first time I learned about the existence of this day. It was a revelation to me. Of course, it is not an official holiday, but maybe some families really make wishes on this feast-day. I want Dandelion’s Day in Russia too!

3 комментария:

  1. Этот комментарий был удален автором.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Coffee is extremely popular beverage in Russia and in the Western contries even more, I guess. As for me, I would fall asleep every morning standing on my feet without a cup of coffee)
    And why dandelions are called "jinny joes"?

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Unfortunately, there is no information why they are called so. But I know some interesting facts about dandelions. A Jinny Joe is a single dandelion’s seed from a seed ball...They look like wee fairies when they are blowing in the wind... When you catch one, you're supposed to say "Jinny Joe, Jinny Joe, bring me back a golden egg», make a wish and then let it go, so your wish can be delivered to the fairies. So make a wish!)))

    ОтветитьУдалить